It is the mission of Mitchell Technical Institute
provide skills for success in technical careers.
Amazing details about Mitchell Technical Institute:
- 98% job placement rate for MTI graduates
- Ranked in the top 10% of America’s two-year colleges by the Aspen Institute for the second year in a row
- One of the newest campuses in the region all in one convenient location
- 29 on-campus academic programs and 7 online programs
- More than 93% of MTI students receive financial aid
- Located in Mitchell, South Dakota; founded in 1968
- Military friendly school since 2010
- Nationally and regionally unique programs
Physical expansion at Mitchell Technical Institute which started in 2003 is now complete. For the first time in its 45-year history, all programs and services are located on one convenient campus. The new campus sits right at Mitchell's "front door," Interstate 90, and is a show space for technical education. The new spaces are home to a student body of record enrollment. 1227 students currently attend MTI, the most ever.
Construction is finished on the new Trades Center building, the final building of four. The 150,000 square-foot building is home to the agriculture, power sports and construction programs including building, electrical and heating and cooling. It also houses the South Dakota Center for Farm/Ranch Management and offices for MTI's newest partner, the South Dakota State University Regional Extension office.
Other buildings on the campus include the Campus Center, opened in 2011, which houses student services, administration, culinary, health sciences programs and general classrooms; the Energy Training Center, opened in 2009, which is home to MTI's four energy programs; and the Technology Center, opened in 2003 and expanded in 2009, where electronics and communications programs as well as a 180-seat amphitheater and the MTI Foundation offices are located.
MTI opened in 1968 in a system of post-high school vocational technical education in South Dakota that included four area institutes and the South Dakota Office of Adult, Vocational and Technical Education. Over 15,000 individuals have graduated from MTI since it opened. The central mission of the Institute is to provide job preparatory programs on a full- or part-time basis to all who can benefit.
The Institute is governed by the Board of Education of the Mitchell School District 17-2 and operates under rules and regulations set forth by the South Dakota Board of Education. The Institute enjoys a close relationship with Mitchell and the James River Valley community.
MTI has established advisory committees of community and regional representatives who provide program input and support.
MTI takes pride in the quality of its technical programs, in the high rate of graduate placement and in the rapid adaptability to business and industry needs by developing new programs and adding new dimensions to existing programs.
MTI offers general education courses applicable in the technical world. Community and advisory committee input enables MTI to adapt to changing technologies, employer expectations, student interests and employment opportunities.
MTI also strives to meet the needs of the community through adult, business, and industrial training programs. Services available to the general public include preparatory classes in communications and math, community education courses and business and industry training programs. Programs range from day-long business training to 24 month-long programs.
Mitchell Technical Institute will be a leader in technical education and a valued partner in global workforce development, equipping students for career success and lifelong learning in a changing world.
It is the mission of Mitchell Technical Institute to provide skills for success in technical careers.
Our Primary Purposes:
- Technical Education: MTI provides high-quality Associate of Applied Science degree and diploma programs which prepare students for occupational success.
- Life Skills: MTI prepares graduates for lifelong learning through general education courses that support technical education and build skills in technology, communication, professionalism, problem-solving, teamwork, and adaptability.
- Respect and Diversity: MTI seeks and values a diverse student population, responds to the unique needs of individuals, and recognizes the dignity and worth of all people.
- Excellence: MTI commits to improve student learning and institutional effectiveness through a system of assessment and continuous review.
- Community: MTI builds student community through social and recreational activities, counseling support, and a student government structure administered through an organized student services office.
- Human Capital: MTI recruits, develops and invests in skilled, dedicated and student-oriented faculty and staff.
- Advocacy: MTI promotes the value of technical education through broad-based marketing and public relations activities.
- Access: MTI provides customized training, seminars, workshops, courses, and consulting services to business, industry, and the community.