TOC Operator (Full Time)
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than two billion cumulative subscribers in over 220 countries and territories.
Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through more than 190 worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Investigation Discovery, as well as US joint venture networks OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, The Hub and 3net, the first 24-hour 3D network.
Across the Nordic region, Discovery owns and operates SBS Discovery Media, a top-three portfolio of 20 television brands that feature leading nonfiction content, as well as locally produced entertainment programs, sports and the best scripted series and movies from major studios. Discovery also is the leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of digital textbooks, and owns and operates a diversified portfolio of digital media services, including Revision3.
We are seeking candidates for the position of TOC Operator to be located in our Sterling, Virginia office.
Position monitors and manages transmit and receive systems for Discovery Communications (DCI) domestic and international platforms. Manage and control local and national fiber connectivity between DCI facilities and remote locations throughout the world. Candidate must be able to make intelligent decisions and handle on air emergencies and discrepancies as they occur.
This position operates and monitors the Transmission Operations Center (TOC). Main duties include satellite receive and transmit systems for all Discovery programming. Additionally, positions monitor all multiplexes; fiber distribution systems and affiliate receive systems. Operators execute standards and quality control check in processes for all inbound and outbound Discovery services.
1. Monitoring of video services and fiber networks distributed by DCI.
2. Operations of satellite receive systems and peripheral equipment.
3. Coordinate ad hoc programming and live events from multiple locations.
4. Interface and manage external satellite teleport vendors when required.
5. Perform on-site quality control and proof of performance testing of ad hoc programs and full time services.
6. The ability to react and trouble shoot issues when they arise, in a timely manner.
7. Operate, troubleshoot and perform preventative maintenance of MPEG-2 and MPEG 4 Encoder platforms, their control systems and associated infrastructures.
* Candidate is required to have experience with Television Distribution Systems – fiber and satellite based, as well as Satellite Monitoring and control Systems.
* Candidate is well versed in SDI, ASI, DS3, and OC-3 Signal Distribution Systems.
* Knowledge of MPEG-2/4 encoding technology, encryption/ authorization technology and TVRO receive systems. Specific experience with Motorola DCII, Motorola Modular, and Cisco Power VU systems.
* Specific experience and expertise in troubleshooting and correcting signal quality issues, signal routing, systems integration and maintenance and use of Video, Audio, RF and Transport Stream Analysis equipment is required.
* IP and networking experience is a plus.
* Overnight, weekend, holidays, and rotating shifts are required as this is a 365/24/7 mission critical position to support the distribution reliability of Discovery Communications services.
* Computer literacy, excellent oral and written communication abilities, and close attention to details are required.
* Television production or origination experience is desirable. A SBE, FCC, DCII, and PowerVu certification is a plus.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
**Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice. Not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. Discovery values the unique point of view each employee brings to the workplace. We strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich audiences we wish to attract and serve.**
Discovery Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Satellite Communications, TelecommunicationsOpenings:
3/31/2014Employee Start Date:
Company InformationCompany Name:
45580 Terminal Drive Sterling , VA 20166Phone:
Contact InformationContact Person:
Jessica Loftus, Email: [email protected]
How to ApplyApply on Company Website
Return to Job Listings