Journeyman gas apprentice (Full Time)
General Statement of Duties
Under general supervision, performs duties of Utility Operator; performs all types of work (except welding) in connection with construction, operation, and maintenance of gas facilities and may install, but not connect, other underground utilities.
• Performs work in safe manner. Complies with all applicable safety rules, regulations and procedures. Performs all work that they are qualified and trained to do in a manner to protect themselves, fellow employees and the public from injury.
• Locates underground gas and electric facilities in conjunction with their work. Additionally, performs locates where no Locator/Leak Surveyors exist.
• Performs mechanical type tasks such as the fusing of and installation of plastic pipe, installation of steel pipe, installing sleeves, unions, clamps, ells, tees, and crosses. May bury other underground utilities. Applies protective coating on steel pipe and fittings. Installs locating wire on plastic and steel facilities, installs cathodic protection devices and takes reads. Assist with setting, removing and piping large meters and regulators. May perform miscellaneous restoration work.
• Responsible for work being performed in accordance with Company and department rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and construction standards. Reads and interprets drawings and specifications and works from prints, sketches and/or verbal instructions.
• Operates main drilling, tapping and stopping equipment.
• Completes leak survey and investigation of gas facilities with combustible gas indicators (CGI and FI), flame ionization equipment, bar-hole testing, and soap.
• May assist with measurements and field paperwork required in connection with operations, maintenance and construction work, including the requisition of materials.
• Installs gas meters through class 2, regulators and vents on residential, commercial, and industrial services in association with maintenance and construction work. Assists others in regards to industrial and commercial sets, regulators and vents.
• Re-lights and inspects gas equipment when performing maintenance on services, replacing services, and moving location of services.
• Maintains work area in a neat, orderly and safe condition.
• Leads, trains and instructs employees in their work.
Pipeline and highway alcohol and drug testing
High school diploma or equivalency required.
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without an accommodation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Propane & Natural Gas TechnologiesAdditional Information:
To apply for this position please go to www.midamericanenergy.com, click on available positions, click on Access the job search and application tool, selection the position you are interested in applying for and select apply.Openings:
6/30/2014Employee Start Date:
Company InformationCompany Name:
MidAmerican Energy CompanyAddress:
401 Douglas Street Sioux City, IA 51101Website: www.midamericanenergy.com
Contact InformationContact Person:
Jan Amick, Phone: Email: [email protected]
How to ApplyApply on Company Website
Return to Job Listings