for program specific employment opportunities.
According to the US Department of Labor and Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for career opportunities from this program is:
Beginning with a firm foundation in drafting with instruments, and followed with an introduction to computed aided drafting (CAD), students learn to conceptualize the building process. Using the latest construction methods, and under close supervision, they construct a residence inside the MTI building lab where the weather is always nice.
In the second year of the program, students working in construction units build a student-designed house in the Mitchell community. Students learn about concrete work as they construct the foundation, rough-finish a basement, and finish a three-bedroom home.
Additionally, students will be exposed to many techniques and skills required in the area of commercial construction: steel, welding, commercial construction equipment operation, and more. Valuable experience will be gained during a commercial construction internship during the final semester of the program.
What makes this program special?
- Our instructors are Certified Green Professionals and Home Energy Raters
- We are a 100% ENERGY STAR BUILDER
- All our houses are built and rated by the Residential Energy Services Network & Home Energy Rating Standards of Practice (RESNET HERs).
- We focus on energy efficient building practices
- Our students are involved with the NAHB (student chapter)
- Bottom line - we are teaching students how to build the homes of the future!
Graduates from this program find employment with lumberyards, building contractors, architectural firms, and commercial construction companies. Their skills in CAD, carpentry, surveying, estimating, cabinetry, commercial construction and green building technologies make the students who graduate from this program valuable employees in the building trades industry.
Successful completion of all 100 level technical courses is required to continue into advanced 200 level courses.
A special note about laptop computers:
This program requires a laptop computer so that you can effectively integrate computing skills with your technical education. Many resources that instructors assign are online or require specialty software. To address these needs, MTI requires that students entering this program purchase their laptops from MTI. The cost for an MTI laptop averages about $1000. Please be aware that our machines come fully loaded with the software required for this program.
Whether it's Microsoft Office, or a specialty software for a technical program, your needs will be met by your MTI laptop. And our laptops are serviced for free by our Technology office. You will not be able to bring a laptop from home into an MTI laptop program as we cannot provide support services for every make and model of laptop. Please consider this carefully before making any laptop purchase and check with the Admissions office for more details.
|Feel free to check out our progress. Click on one of the links below to view a photo gallery
At the conclusion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate skill and proficiency in computer-aided drafting and design
- Demonstrate skill in how to build a residential house
- Demonstrate special building skills, such as building custom cabinets, drywall, etc.
- Identify and apply safe working practices through safety training as a part of the program and completing an OSHA 10 certification
- Explain the different attributes associated with commercial construction such as material, blueprints, organization and operation
- Describe the characteristics and conditions a person needs to realize to effectively pour concrete and demonstrate the ability to place flat work and foundation walls
- Have an appreciation and understanding of what it takes to operate a construction business
- Differentiate building practices to attain energy efficiency , cost effectiveness and “green building”
Check out the 2012-13 ADBC Assessment Review for information on how this program assures that its students are attaining learning outcomes.
Placement and Wage Information
According to 2013 data, the placement rate for graduates in this program was 100%. Salaries ranged as high as $30.00/hourly.
|Program Tuition & Fees*
|(4 semester program/average tuition cost per semester, $3,687.25)
|Other Required Costs
|*All costs listed are estimated and are subject to change at any time. Students will receive final costs at the time of course registration each semester.